CanSPEP continues to closely monitor developments with the Novel Coronavirus and remains committed to the safety of our members and suppliers.
Recently, a World Health Organization panel declared the ongoing coronavirus outbreak a public health emergency. A global emergency would include recommendations to all countries aimed at preventing or reducing cross-border spread of disease while avoiding unnecessary interference with trade and travel. Canadian health officials are aligned with these recommendations and maintain that the risk of contracting the virus remains low in Canada.
Remember, to help with keeping the risk of transmission low, these preventative hygienic measures are to be followed:
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for a minimum of 20 seconds; when soap and water are not available use hand sanitizer
- Keep unwashed hands away from your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Avoid people who are coughing or sneezing
- Cover coughs or sneezes with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the garbage and wash your hands; if no tissues are available, cough or sneeze into your sleeve or your arm – not your hands
- Disinfect high-touch surfaces daily, using a product that kills viruses
- If you do not feel well, stay home and consult with your health care practitioner
For your continued reference, the most up-to-date information from Canadian Health officials with respect to the Novel Coronavirus can be found at: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health.html